Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton
by Michael Chiarello
* Cook Time: 40 min
* Yield: 6 servings
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 5 cloves minced garlic
* 8 cups thinly sliced onions
* Gray salt
* 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
* 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
* 1 1/2 cups dark beer (recommended: Guinness)
* 6 cups beef stock
* 6 slices country bread cut 1/2-inch thick, toasted
* 1/2 pound Irish Cheddar, sliced thin
the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and cook
briefly to release aroma. Add onions, season with salt and cook for
about 5 minutes stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15
minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown.
Add the thyme, vinegar, and beer. Reduce beer by half and add the beef stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes.
the broiler. Transfer soup to an ovenproof serving dish or individual
ovenproof soup bowls. Top with toasted bread slices and sliced Cheddar.
Broil until cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Serve piping hot.